Just For Kids
View our presentations for kids – Click here!
Floral Fun Facts
- There are about 400 000 different types of flowers
- The biggest flower in the world is a giant lily called the titan arums (but it’s even more famous for how terrible it smells than for its gigantic size – People have been known to pass out from the smell!)
- The ‘priceless orchid’ only blooms once a year, for one night, and dies in the morning.
- Did you know that you eat flowers? Broccoli, cauliflower and artichokes are actually very tasty flowers
- A scientist in Singapore created glowing flowers by combining firefly DNA with a white orchid!
- Sunflowers keep turning their heads so that they can face the sun all day long
- There are 5 flowers that smell just like chocolate; Chocolote Cosmos, the Chocolate Orchid, Black Salsify, Chocolate Daisy and Chocolate Mint!
- Floriography is the language of flowers – in the olden days, people would send each other bouquets of flowers that contained secret messages in flower-form. You would then have to ‘decode’ your bouquet using a flower dictionary.
- The ‘daisy’ was originally called the ‘day’s eye’ because of its golden centre that looks like a tiny sun; the ‘eye of the day’.
- Plants breathe in what we breathe out (‘carbon-dioxide’) – and breathe out what we breathe in (‘oxygen’)– they’re our perfect match!
Festival Colouring Pages
Download some flower festival themed colouring pages here!