The inaugural Festival has evolved considerably since the idea of a Flower Festival was first proposed by Margot De Groot, proprietor of Flowers on Tedder. Inspired by a recent visit to the Chelsea Flower Show, and concerned about the growing number of vacant shops in Tedder Avenue, Margot dreamt of a flower festival that would transform the Main Beach business precinct into a weekend of floral abundance. With its shady trees and garden plazas Tedder Avenue is without doubt the prettiest shopping area on the Gold Coast, making it a very attractive venue for a flower festival.
Working with Main Beach Association President Sue Donovan, Margot found encouragement and the promise of some funding from local Divisional Councillor, Gary Baildon and support from two major sponsors White Main Beach – a Trenert Project and Main Beach Travel. The rest is history.
A Flower Festival with a Gold Coast Flavour
Given an extremely short timeframe, Margot and Sue searched for a formula that would appeal to a wide audience and encourage young people to experience the delights of Tedder Avenue as it had been in its heyday. They discovered a secret ingredient in the form of Julia Rose, a young rock star of floral design. Although the bread and butter of Julia’s business is creating floral displays for fashionable weddings, media and fashion events, her passion is for creating highly creative designs that are more art and fashion than classic floristry.
Key Elements of the 2-day Festival
Those attending the Festival will have a wide range of activities and Installations to admire both at street level and up on the Rooftop Entertainment Hub at the northern end of Festival precinct. As they arrive, attendees will be handed a colourful Festival Passport featuring a map of the Festival precinct and the program for the Rooftop Entertainment Hub
The Wow Factor – Julia Rose floral creations
The public areas of Tedder Avenue will be dotted with spectacular floral installations, ranging from flower-decorated trees, bins, botanical mannequins, botanical rails, a fountain, a Porsche, a suspended sphere—and even a floral farmyard scene with life-sized floral animals.
Other Julia Rose designs include:
- A floral immersion room filled with fresh flowers
- A room featuring a giant cascade of paper flowers created from obsolete library books. This installation is a partnership with Gold Coast Libraries and has been created by hundreds of artistic volunteers from all over the Gold Coast. It is undoubtedly a ‘world first’ and an example of Julia Rose’s creative genius.
Rooftop Entertainment Hub
- Headline speakers
- Indigenous performers
- Live music
- Floral design presentations by Julia Rose and 2019 World Cup Floral Design winner, Bart Hassam.
- Exhibitors with a botanical twist
- Jaguar Garden Bar in a vintage garden setting. Drinks, snack food and gelato available.
‘Table for Two’ Student Floral Competition
- 12 student florists from South East Queensland.
- The theme is ‘A Spring Flower Feast’
- Competition rules created by award-winning Australian Master Florist, Mark Pampling
- Competition takes place on Friday 6 September with judging on Friday evening by Julia Rose and Bart Hassam, winner of the 2019 World Cup of Floral Design
- Sponsored and organised by Gold Coast Floristry and Retail Management, the Gold Coast’s only floristry school
- $1000 cash prizes
- Open for public viewing throughout the Festival.
- People’s Choice Award
Floral & Botanical Workshops
- Bart Hassam Spring Bridal Bouquet
- Bart Hassam Spring Table Arrangement
- Succulent Wall Art
- Succulent Bowl
- Flower Readings
- Flower Crown Making
Decorated Business Premises
- Festival side banners will remain in Tedder Avenue for 12 months
- Many businesses have commissioned floral decoration of their premises.
Pop-Up Shops & Bar
- Jurlique Botanical Range
- Ette Studio hair styling salon
- Pia du Pradal fashion
- Veranda Bar soft opening
- 15 botanical market place exhibitors
- Themeing sponsored by The Prop House
- The Blenders
- Stilt Walkers
- Frame Dancers
Artist in Residence
Skye Llewellyn in action painting a Julia Rose creation. See her work at the Main Entrance on the corner of Cronin Avenue and Tedder Avenue (Eastern Side), plus painting live on the Corner of Peak Avenue and Tedder Avenue (Eastern side)
Antone Bruinsma , whose unique artwork is greatly inspired by Nature, especially the magical world of flowers, will showcase two spectacular stone sculpture in Helen Park. This is located on the Corner of the Gold Coast Highway and Tedder Avenue, opposite the Main Beach Light Rail.
Karma Kids present arts and crafts that will get kids using their imaginations
- Ink Gin Soirée (sold out)
- Signature High Tea (sold out)
Further Information For further information about the Main Beach Spring Flower Festival please contact us.